Question New coder searching for part time work

Cindysus1

New
Best answers
Hello,
I'm looking for suggestions and tips for finding a part time coding job. I'm a new CPC-A, just passed the test in May. I'm having a really hard time finding a job with me having no coding experience that is part time. I've been in the health field for 20 years but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Any advice is most welcome. What should I try to do?

carlystur

Guru
Best answers
One tip I have for you is to customize each resume to the job you are applying to. Try to use their words where you can without lying because companies often use software that looks for keywords in resumes to even get someone to look at for interviewing. It took me a long time to learn that and I do think it helped.

CoderGirl35

Contributor
Best answers
Hi,

I was just hired on as a remote HCC coder for a company last week. I am a CPC-A also. I have never worked in coding before, so I'm super nervous. I hope to make a good first impression. I'm glad this company is going to take a chance on me as a new coder. However, I am also an LPN. My advice is to make your resume look as, "healthcare work related" as possible. Things I listed on my resume were past medical experience as a patient care tech and LPN, CPC-A certification, CPR training, HEDIS training I completed in 2019, etc. I have already had 4 interviews with remote healthcare companies since getting my CPC-A in April. I actually was hired on in a "patient coordinator role" working remotely a couple weeks ago. However, I turned that job down after I was offered the HCC coding position. I'm sure everyone has different advice to getting hired on as a new coder, but tailoring my resume to make it "healthcare work related" has really helped me. Good luck! I hope you find something soon. :)