Wiki New codes for Flu quad and HPV vacc help

TLC

Guru
Best answers
The AAPC magazine for Dec has new codes for (Flu-quad 90630) and the(HPV vacc 90651). Does anyone know if they are replacing the codes that are there now.
now-(90685 flu quad 6-35 mos and 90686 flu quad 3yrs and older).
now-(HPV vacc 90649,90650) or are these just totally new vaccines? It is not clear to me what they are saying. I also went to my monthly coding class they brought up the codes but also not clear. I "searched" here under the "discussion boards" and didn't get anything. Thank you in adavnce.

The 90630 code is for the newly approved quadrivalent (protects against 4 types) intradermal flu vaccine administered with a shorter needle that does not go into the muscle (like 90654 for intradermal trivalent). Physicians may still have supplies of trivalent flu vaccines so those codes are still applicable in addition the various formulations of the quad flu vaccines. The 90685 is for an intramuscular administered vaccine as is 90686.

Code 90651 is for the new nonavalent (protects against 9 types of HPV) HPV vaccine. Code 90649 is for the still available vaccine that protects against 4 types and code 90650 for the still available vaccine that protects against 2 types.

Vaccine codes are only deleted after the products are no longer recommended and/or no longer on the market. Practices should always be very clear regarding the product provided as there are significant cost and payment differences based on the code submitted.

Hope that helps.
Cindy