Wiki New diagnosis, new patient?

ngastroent

Contributor
Best answers
If an established patient is seen in the office (within 3 years) with a new, unrelated symptom/diagnoses than previously seen, it's still an established patient, correct? The physician I work for had the impression it could be billed as a new patient at that point, but I can't find anything clarifying this example. I thought it was determined by tax ID or NPI, so whatever the actual problem is irrelevant?

That same doctor is seeing the same patient within 3 years? That sounds like an established patient to me regardless of whether or not the problem is new to that provider.

EDIT: The unrelated symptom only plays a factor in which of the established levels you can bill, not whether the patient is new or established.

That same doctor is seeing the same patient within 3 years? That sounds like an established patient to me regardless of whether or not the problem is new to that provider.

EDIT: The unrelated symptom only plays a factor in which of the established levels you can bill, not whether the patient is new or established.
That's a good point with the established levels, maybe that's where he had heard something. Thank you!