New E/M coding in eyecare | Billing Coding

Best answers
  • Good morning

I am hoping I can get some feed back with the new E/M Coding in Eye Care. What tests are appropriate in eye care in the data elements? Contrasts sensory, Sherma, tear break up tests?, Do these count as part of the MDM. I feel like I am digging too much and getting a little confused. If you have any information and where I can review it, I appreciate it.

Thank you
Laura

saddie2k

Contributor
Best answers
Hi Laura!
If you can bill separately for the test then it will not count towards MDM.

Cheezum51

Expert
Best answers
I don't know that the tests you mention would fit into an "order" per se. They aren't tests which, to my knowledge, have their own CPT code nor are they reimbursed for. They are just simple quick screening tests. By definition, a "unique test" has to have a CPT code assigned to it.

Tom Cheezum, OD, CPC, COPC

Cheezum51

Expert
Best answers
hi Dr. Cheezum

Yes I figured that I was actually waiting for your response. do you have any information for OD's using the 99 code that you can share
I'm actually doing a 2 hour webinar this Wednesday, January 27, 6-8 PM EST titled: "Pick That Code: Understanding the 2021 E/M Code Changes" I'll be covering how to use the 99 codes plus going over questions like yours and will also be going through several typical office visit scenarios and coding them both with Time and MDM. There is a $49 fee for the course.

Here's the registration link if you're interested: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4113910028760688652

jareardon

New
Best answers
I'm actually doing a 2 hour webinar this Wednesday, January 27, 6-8 PM EST titled: "Pick That Code: Understanding the 2021 E/M Code Changes" I'll be covering how to use the 99 codes plus going over questions like yours and will also be going through several typical office visit scenarios and coding them both with Time and MDM. There is a $49 fee for the course.

Here's the registration link if you're interested: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4113910028760688652
I'm a day late reading this - was the webinar recorded and available offline or on demand? Thank you