Wiki New FS modifier - help!

Best answers
We have a new FS modifier that is for getting charges from Multiple Docs on same day paid.

For example….Dr. Brown (Full-Time doctor) sees a pt in the am for a crit 99291, then Dr. Jones (different FT doctor) sees in pm for crit too.

We would have to bill Brown as 99291, then bill Jones as Rendering 99292 with FS modifier under Brown as Billable.

My problem is the Q6 Locum Tenens Doctors – the FS has to be keyed under the Doc that did the original Crit charge for the day.

So if Dr. Brown (FT doctor) saw in the am, then Dr. Smith (Locums covering for Dr. Jones) saw in the pm….how would I key Dr. Smith? (Locums) (Normally locums would be keyed under Jones as billable)

The Q6 (Locums) are already keyed under Jones. They would have to be keyed under Dr. Brown for Ins to pay the charge.

Do you want we key the charge under the Dr. Brown from the 1st charge or do under Dr. Jones as the billable provider?

I may have this wrong but I thought the FS modifier was for split/share visit between physician and NPP. I copied info below. Your note sounds like critical care time was performed by two different physicians. Are these physicians of the same specialty/practice? I would think you would bill the appropriate critical care time for each physician per their time rendered with the patient. If Smith is a Locums for Jones then bill Jones the appropriate critical care code with the Q6 modifier.

In the context of critical care, split/shared visits occur when the total critical care service time provided by a physician and NPP in the same group on a given calendar date to a patient is totaled and the practitioner who provided the substantive portion of the cumulative critical care time reports the critical care service.

Beginning January 1, 2023, substantive portion means more than half of the total time spent by the physician and NPP performing the split/shared visit.
Modifier FS must be appended to critical care codes for split/shared claims

I may have this wrong but I thought the FS modifier was for split/share visit between physician and NPP. I copied info below. Your note sounds like critical care time was performed by two different physicians. Are these physicians of the same specialty/practice? I would think you would bill the appropriate critical care time for each physician per their time rendered with the patient. If Smith is a Locums for Jones then bill Jones the appropriate critical care code with the Q6 modifier.

In the context of critical care, split/shared visits occur when the total critical care service time provided by a physician and NPP in the same group on a given calendar date to a patient is totaled and the practitioner who provided the substantive portion of the cumulative critical care time reports the critical care service.

Beginning January 1, 2023, substantive portion means more than half of the total time spent by the physician and NPP performing the split/shared visit.
Modifier FS must be appended to critical care codes for split/shared claims
This is correct. Modifier FS is only for instances when a physician and an NPP meet the requirements for a split/shared service.