Wiki New Orthopedic Coder Needs Help

lovewdisney1

Best answers
I would appreciate any help with this. I am not sure how to code this. Medicaid patient.

I need to code for an open fracture of patella with laceration grade 1 repair 6 cm.

Patient went to surgery and an irrigation and debridement right patella with repair of the laceration 3 layers, retinaculum was closed with Vicryl, subcutaneous with vicryl and skin nylon. There was no pinning of the fracture, the laceration caused a small fracture of the patella at the time of injury. Patient is in a knee immobilizer.

Do I code this as a complicated laceration (8911) with procedure code (13121-14), and open fracture (8221) with fracture care(27520-1459)? Because there was no pinning, I can't code for the 27524.

Is this correct?

Thanks for any help

I would appreciate any help with this. I am not sure how to code this. Medicaid patient.

I need to code for an open fracture of patella with laceration grade 1 repair 6 cm.

Patient went to surgery and an irrigation and debridement right patella with repair of the laceration 3 layers, retinaculum was closed with Vicryl, subcutaneous with vicryl and skin nylon. There was no pinning of the fracture, the laceration caused a small fracture of the patella at the time of injury. Patient is in a knee immobilizer.

Do I code this as a complicated laceration (8911) with procedure code (13121-14), and open fracture (8221) with fracture care(27520-1459)? Because there was no pinning, I can't code for the 27524.

Is this correct?

Thanks for any help

Is that the whole note??
I don't see where an open fracture repair was done. Also where did you get the size of the complex closure and what is modifier 14???

Can you post more info please.
Thanks.

SORRY,

In our system we use 14 for the right side sorry I wasn't thinking. The doctor documented the length of the laceration, and I have the op notes for the layers. I just wasn't sure what I should do with the patella fracture. Can I bill for fracture care?

Thanks

I do not htink there is any fracture care here to bill for. It looks like a wound repair. also you do not use Lt side or rt side designations for laceration repairs as this was a repair of skin which has no laterality. the right side designation would be used for the fracture repair if there had been any.