Wiki New Patient OV with a procedure

rmooney1114

Networker
Best answers
Hello, here is my scenario. A provider sees a new patient, the reason for the visit is to remove a wart and there is nothing else wrong with the patient in order to warrant a separate E/M to be billed with the procedure. The new patient E/M (99203 for example) has a higher RVU than the wart removal procedure. Can the provider elect to bill the E/M instead of the procedure just to get the higher RVU's...
Please provider any references to information on this topic if possible.
Thank you

Good morning!

Good question, and this is one I see often. When selecting a code, remember to pick the one which best describes what happened during the encounter, and not focus on which code gives the provider the higher RVU (which could result in a False Claim). Billing a different code just to get higher reimbursement sounds like upcoding and is a big deal for CMS and OIG.

Was the visit a problem visit with issues the provider needed to treat and manage? Was there a specific procedure the provider performed (remember the small E/M bundled into any procedure).

In the example you are giving, I would be cautious in billing the lesion destruction with a M25 and 9920x, since there is not enough Significant, Separate E/M (again based on what you are sharing) to warrant an E/M code.

I'm really glad you're asking, since this is a topic where providers (and coders) can get into big trouble if they're not careful.

Hope this is helpful!

Sources:

Noridian Modifier 25
CMS talks about Upcoding

Thank you, your response was very helpful. My reason for asking was that we recently had an outside audit by insurance company and the biggest issues were E/M with procedures and the fact that a separate E/M was not warranted. Those have since been corrected, but then we were "advised" that since an E/M has a higher RVU, that the coders can bill for the E/M instead of the procedure. Personally as an auditor, I am not comfortable with that because as you stated that is inflation and fraud, and its with intent, because you are doing just to increase revenue... I wanted to get feedback from others to see what everyone's thoughts were on this.. I appreciate your feedback, it was very reassuring.
Thank you