Wiki New Patient visit vs Cerumen removal only

VanettaP

Contributor
Best answers
Hello All,

Does anyone know if I should bill a new patient office visit for a NEW PATIENT that visits and has cerumen removed during that visit. I am being told by an auditor that I should bill the procedure 69210 instead of a 99202 for the new patient visit. Can anyone provide proof of how this scenario should be billed? I am at a loss trying to find a rule about this.

Thank you,

Vanetta

if that is why the patient is coming in and for nothing else other than the removal of the cerumen impaction, yes that would be correct if there is not any medically necessity to code the office visit as well then you cant.

if that is why the patient is coming in and for nothing else other than the removal of the cerumen impaction, yes that would be correct if there is not any medically necessity to code the office visit as well then you cant.

My issue is the patient is new to my provider. The patient only suspects they have wax in their ear. This wax was confirmed in the exam. Is it unreasonable bill for a new patient visit only? I am not trying to bill both. I want to bill New Patient instead of the procedure.