Wiki New Patient Who Was Once Established

morrellderm

Best answers
If we have a patient return to office that hasn't been seen in 3 years- we bill them as a new patient. Does this mean they also have to complete all new patient paperwork? Or can we obtain all information verbally? Such as, insurance, address, phone number, past medical history, surgeries and so forth and just mark any changes? Also wondering about our authorization signatures for consent to treat and bill insurance as well as privacy acts? Do those pages have to have updated signatures with current date?

Agree. I would have them fill out new documents, even if they say nothing has changed. I would briefly explain that they are considered a new patient if not seen in 3 years.

We had a patient that had seen one of our doctors on & off for the last 20 years. She hadn't been seen in 3 years so we billed a new patient visit. She was upset that we recorded that visit as a new patient - only because she wanted to be recognized as a loyal patient for over 20 years! I explained the situation but at the same time let her know how appreciative the clinic is of her loyalty. That somewhat helped :)