Wiki New PDT (96576 and 96574) codes

lanam

New
Best answers
Does anyone know how these new codes will affect billing? If the provider applies the levulan but the nurse applies the light treatment what should we bill, 96567 or 96576?

Thank you,

The new codes are 96573 and 96574. 96567 was revised to include by staff in the definition.

97574 is a new code that combined PDT and debridement.

In regard to your question...

96567 is being reduced to include chemical application and light treatment by staff only (under general supervision of provider on-site). IN other words, the physician is not directly involved in providing any portion of the treatment that day.

96573 is when physician applies chemical and does the light

At least that is my take so far.

REVISED ANSWER - I am working with the AAD for clarification on this.

Last edited:
I'm collaborating with the American Academy of Dermatology on a more clear response to the original question.

In speaking wish their coding expert, the physician must be directly involved with applying the chemical and directing/performing the light exposure session in order for 96573 to be billed.

They are going to seek some clarification/recommendation from members of their coding panel, on how to handle the split-effort scenario (i.e., physician/staff performing PDT).

I just noticed that FCSO (Florida Medicare) does not include 96573 in their 2018 fee look-up tool. Does this mean that they will not recognize & pay this new code?