Wiki New Physician

lapcpc

Networker
Best answers
We just had a new physician start in our practice and his patients from his previous practice are calling to make appointments to see him. My question is will these patients who see this physician be considered new as he is practicing in a new office with a new tax id?

Thank you, Lori

I don't know how you would consider them new patients when they all have an established relationship with the provider. The first question in the new vs. established decision tree is - "Has the patient received any professional service from the provider or another provider in group of same specialty within last three years?"

Since the answer to this question is yes, and all the other questions on the decision tree are also answered yes, they should all be established patients. On a side note, I also think you could have a small upheval on your hands if you charged these patients as new, I don't think it's worth the patient abrasion and frustration.

Last edited:
they will be considered established patients. The payers also will tie the doctors name to the claim, not just his tax id and NPI number. You will get denials if you bill them as new E/M's.