Wiki New student

Jistbrenda

Best answers
I am working on chapter 5 in the CPC program. Am I the only one that is struggling with this still at this point? I’m beginning to wonder if I’m EVER going to get it. Anyone have any encouraging words or suggestions? Part of the problem I think is “time.” I work 3 rd shift 4 days a week but not consistently in a row. So I’m trying to cram everything into one day maybe 2 days a week.....

I equate coding with looking up a book in the library: the diagnosis and procedure code are the "books" you are looking for and the ICD10 & CPT are the "library" you look through until you find them.

The indexes will guide you to the section of the "library" you need to look in, and then the descriptions of the codes help you find the specific "book".

Hope this makes sense!

I posted this on another thread a while ago, but I think it might help you too:

I think you can find what you're looking for in a note if you think about it as trying to "tell the story" of the visit. So look for the unique things about the visit --

why are they here? (this should lead you to your diagnosis)

Who is conducting the exam (MD? NP? PA? Will you be billing "incident to"?)

Do they have any chronic problems that will need to be taken into consideration when determining treatment? (think HTN, DM, etc.)

Is this visit affected by other services? (Is it in a global period of something else? use -24 modifier / Are they doing some kind of treatment today? use -25 modifier)

I equate coding with looking up a book in the library: the diagnosis and procedure code are the "books" you are looking for and the ICD10 & CPT are the "library" you look through until you find them.

The indexes will guide you to the section of the "library" you need to look in, and then the descriptions of the codes help you find the specific "book".

Hope this makes sense!
Thanks I’ll try this.