Wiki NEW TO CPC - EXAM up coming

jessdame

Best answers
HI! I am almost finished and ready to take exam. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the exam is.. how they prepared.. what they did after.. what their job was prior.. did you go into coding with your eyes closed.. (new profession) I am 33 and now just getting into this myself its all brand new. I am nervous and trying to be determined.. PLEASE GUIDE ME !! I would appreciate it

Jess (Queens, NY)

Believe it or not, some of the best things you can do are the simplest...get a good nights sleep, eat breakfast, get all your books, pencils, etc together the night before. I was and am a billing supervisor for an FQHC, took a boot camp and passed the exam my first time. I think I'm just a good test taker. I actually do not have to do that much coding; our providers do that. I use my certification for auditing purposes and to recognize when something is wrong, needs more, etc. I won't lie, the test is extremely hard but if you have a good monitor who will keep you aware of the time you have left I'm sure you will do fine. Some in my group did the areas they were most confident in first. I simply started at the beginning and went to the end. I did skip some questions and went back to them later as time permitted. It is very common for people to have to retake it more than once. Good luck to you and best wishes!!!

I agree with much of what Rhonda stated. Don't stress too much the night before and have all your materials prepared. Get to your test location with enough time to get settled before the exam begins. You should be able to eliminate a couple of the wrong answers right away on each question which will allow you to focus on which answer is correct. I also suggest not spending too much time on a question if you are struggling. Mark it lightly with your pencil and go back to it at the end.

I was a career changer after my company downsized and I lost my job. I started in insurance follow up and quickly promoted to billing manager and moved on to coding. I have held various roles over the years in billing, coding, and revenue cycle management.

You've got this! Good luck on your exam!