Wiki New to MOHS billing

Best answers
Our office will begin performing MOHS and I am not 100% familiar with all of the billing rules for this specialty - Can anyone share some good insight on reviewing the chart note for proper billing? Thank you.

Our office will begin performing MOHS and I am not 100% familiar with all of the billing rules for this specialty - Can anyone share some good insight on reviewing the chart note for proper billing? Thank you.

A technical detail to start with: the procedure is Mohs, not MOHS (it's named after the physician Frederic Mohs who developed it, so it's not an abbreviation).

The first thing and most important thing I'd mention is that this procedure requires a special level of CLIA certification for the location where it's being done. Make sure your office has the correct type of CLIA number in place before performing any of these procedures! Otherwise all of your Medicare claims will deny and your provider could technically be breaking the law by doing this without proper certification.

The coding itself is pretty simple - the harder part actually can be the coding of the closures done after the Mohs procedure is complete as it can sometimes involve complex flaps and grafts. Here are a couple of articles on the AAPC site that are a good starting place - if you'll read these first and then post any questions, that might be helpful:

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply and link. We have all the necessary CLIA certifications so that will not be an issue, and I will definitely review the information you sent. Thanks again for responding so fast.