Wiki new to pulmonology---need help

Best answers
Hi fellow coders,

I have recently changed practices, switching from Internal Medicine to Pulmonology and critical care. I need a little help understanding Bronchs...

I think I understand the code book to say that if you do a 31623, or 31624 then the 31622 is included in that (you would not bill both).

31623 and 31624 do not appear to be add on codes, but my physician thinks that if he does a bronch with a brushing, or a bronch with a lavage, then we bill both 31622 (the bronch) and a 31623 (the brushing) or 31624 (the lavage).

Who is right??

What is he did a brushing and lavage... do I bill both then???

Thanks for any and all help,
Stacy

you may want to look at the CCI edits.

There is a chapter before each category's edits that have detailed guidelines that can be useful. When you go to the CMS' website, type in CCI and everything should pull up.

Hi Stacy,

Yes you can bill both lavage and brushings, as well as biopsy. However, especially with Medicare, they will only accept 1 unit for each code ( the determination is that you are already in the brochial opening, theefore 1 opening, 1 unit. Example would be if you did 31623 x 2 and 31625 x 4 , you would only bill 1 unit each) Hope this helps.

Mary