Wiki New Year's Coding Books - Transferring Annotations and Notes from previous year

coding2016

Contributor
Best answers
How many of you fellow coders out there transfer your markups/highlights/notes, etc., from your previous year's code books (ICD, CPT, HCPCS, etc.) to the new year's code books? Is this something you routinely do every single year? How long have you been doing so? As a new coder, I did this from my 2016 to 2017 books and it took me 2 weeks! I wish there was a better way. How do the rest of you manage? Do you supplement with electronic resources in any way instead of marking up the paper books? Thanks in advance for sharing-!!

I've been wondering this myself. What is the best way? Plus, codes change from year to year, so you couldn't straight copy from one book to the other without taking that into account. Is it better to keep the old book as a resource for a few years, and then mark up a new book? What is a good strategy?

I do it every year and I have since I became certified in 2004. We usually get our books in December so I take the last half hour or hour of my workday and start transferring. I am usually done by the end of the month.