Wiki Newborn Care for Withdrawal

Best answers
My pediatric providers treated a newborn whose mother was on Subutex. Initially the baby's condition was normal and monitored but by day 4 Finnegan Scores steadily increased and the baby was placed on Methadone for withdrawal. The baby remained in the nursery for an additional 30 days while she was weaned off of the Methadone. Does this qualify for the intensive care codes (99477-99480)? Baby remained on room air and had a normal weight for the entirety of the stay, but took longer than expected to successfully wean from the Methadone. I am fairly new to newborn coding and find the intensive care codes very confusing. I appreciate any help/feedback.

Critical care is the direct delivery of medical care, by a physician(s), for a critically ill or critically injured patient. CMS defines critically ill and injured patients as those who are experiencing one or more vital organ failure(s) and who have a high probability of life threatening deterioration in their condition.

Some examples of vital organ failure include:

• Central nervous system (i.e., brain, spinal cord).
  • Shock
  • Circulatory failure (i.e., heart, blood vessels)
  • Renal failure (i.e., kidneys)
  • Hepatic failure (i.e., liver)
  • Metabolic failure
  • Respiratory failure (i.e., lungs)
Other life threatening conditions could also contribute to the patient’s critical condition.

Here is the full article: https://www.hcpro.com/HIM-244419-3288/Understanding-and-coding-for-critical-care-services.html