Wiki Newborn Transitional Care Management

Best answers
Can a primary care office do Transitional Care Management (99495/99496) on newborns after birth whom do not have any issues? Does anyone have any resources they could share? We perform TCMs on all patients who have been admitted, but the practice is questioning on doing this service on newborns.

TCM is not a preventive service and these codes require either moderate or high complexity medical decision making. I'm not sure how you could justify that level of MDM for a patient that does not have any issues. If there are no problems being managed, then I don't see how these codes could be used.

TCM is not a preventive service and these codes require either moderate or high complexity medical decision making. I'm not sure how you could justify that level of MDM for a patient that does not have any issues. If there are no problems being managed, then I don't see how these codes could be used.
Thank you for replying! Those were my thoughts exactly!

If a complex new baby comes into the office 2 days after discharge (@11 days old), can that be billed with 99495/6? There was no previous contact from the office just this first visit?