Wiki Newborn Weight Checks

KLFREE

New
Best answers
We have been billing for weight checks 28 days and under with icd 9 dx code V29.8 but now with icd10 I am not sure which direction to go when I go to newborn weight states bill z00.111 but I am wondering if these will deny out as having multiple newborn well child checks could someone please advise and thank you Kerry holmes cpc

You were using the V29.9 code incorrectly, this code was never intended to be used for weight checks. This was a code for a symptomatic baby where the provider performed tests and services for a suspected problem that did not surface. This not the same as a routine weight check, those should have been coded with the V20. Which is the same as the Z00.111 for the 8 to 28 day old infant. If they are routine weight checks for a healthy child.

newborn weight checks

we bill the v29.8 for newborn weight checks because the baby is being monitored for suspected conditions such as jaundice or weight loss due to being breast fed.
Our insurance carriers v20. against benefits for full well child checks would billing for z71.3 dietary counseling and surveillance and additional code for BMI be appropriate for this. thank you Kerry holmes