Wiki Nexplanon Insertion Diagnosis Code?

brandi.stvns

Best answers
HELP!!!

I am creating a "map" for the physicians in my office. We recently started inserting the Nexplanon Contraceptive device. In ICD 9, we have a code for insertion and removal. I am trying to add this to the map, but can only find Z45.89 - Encounter for adjustment and management of other implanted devices.

There has to be a better code right??? The only other code I am able to find is Z30.013, but the description states "initial prescription".

Any input is appreciated!!!

Thank you,
Brandi S.
Denver Family Medicine

Hi Brandi,

From what I've seen, we lost specific codes for contraceptive implants in ICD-10. The closest approximate codes I've seen are:
Z30.49 - Encounter for surveillance of other contraceptive
Z30.018 - Encounter for initial prescription of other contraceptive

I wouldn't use Z30.013, as that is for a contraceptive injection (DMPA - J1050).

I'll repost if I come across any specific additional guidance!

Amanda K.
National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association

More specific codes have been requested and are pending approval for the next update of ICD-10-CM. Until new codes are implemented, this is classified as an "other" contraceptive.

Nexplanon insertion ICD-10 code

We are using z30.49 for the Nexplanon insertion dx, but many carriers have denied this code. Anyone using anything different?

Nexplanon Insertion ICD10 code

For Nexplanon cpt code 11981 (insertion, non biodegradable drug deliver implant) Assign Diagnosis code Z30.017 (Encounter for initial prescription of implantable subdermal contraceptive). For 11982 cpt (Removal, non biodegradable drug delivery implant) and 11983 cpt (Removal w/reinsertion) Assign Diagnosis code use Z30.46 (Encounter for surveillance, which includes checking, reinsertion, or removal) and HCPS code J7307

For Nexplanon cpt code 11981 (insertion, non biodegradable drug deliver implant) Assign Diagnosis code Z30.017 (Encounter for initial prescription of implantable subdermal contraceptive). For 11982 cpt (Removal, non biodegradable drug delivery implant) and 11983 cpt (Removal w/reinsertion) Assign Diagnosis code use Z30.46 (Encounter for surveillance, which includes checking, reinsertion, or removal) and HCPS code J7307

prior to 10/1/16 its the "other" code. Starting DOS 10/1/16 there is now the codes you have indicated. I'm glad they finally added the missing codes