Wiki Nexplanon Removal/Insertion

gonzalesl2010

Networker
Best answers
If a removal and insertion of a Nexplanon is being done on the same d.o.s. what is the correct diagnosis code(s) to use?

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Z30.46

Encounter for surveillance of implantable subdermal contraceptive

Encounter for checking, reinsertion or removal of implantable subdermal contraceptive

Last edited:
response

Try Z30.46 this code covers removing and reinsertion of the Nexaplanon.

Nexplanon coding

If a removal and insertion of a Nexplanon is being done on the same d.o.s. what is the correct diagnosis code(s) to use?

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Use Z30.017 FOR INSERTION
Z30.46 for removal or follow up
Here's how I code it for removal and insertion same day= 11983 w dx Z30.017 & Z30.46 + 96372-59 for the local anesthetic since we do not bill for the meds
and J7307 with Z30.017 also 81025 with Z32.02 neg preg test.

I suggest you get the OB/Gyn Coding Companion from Optum360- IT'S MY BILLING BIBLE

It would be incorrect to use the Z30.017 with the Z30.46 for this scenario. First the Z30.0 category has an exclude 1 note for all Z30.4 codes which means they cannot be coded together. Second the Z30.017 is for initial prescription not for the removal and reinsertion. You need to use only the Z30.46 for the removal and reinsertion. You also cannot bill for the injection of the local. You can bill the pregnancy test with the Z32.02 code.

does anyone know how to charge for a removal and insertion and removal again in the same visit because she had numbness from hitting a nerve when they reinserted the new one so immediately removed the new one.

also I was told you could get reimbursement from the manufacturer for the Nexplanon and told to charge the device to insurance. but i would think if we're getting reimbursed from the manufacturer not to charge insurance because wouldn't that be double dipping?