Wiki NICU transfer to another facility

riccam1

Contributor
Best answers
Hi,

If a neonatologist transfers a neonate to another facility does he use a discharge code on date of discharge or a subsequent intensive care charge? I thought if the neonate was transferred out that the physician would use a discharge code with prolonged care if appropriate. I don't see anything in the guidelines regarding transfer/discharge.

Thanks!

There is new guidance in CPT 2013 - When critical care services are provided to neonates or pediatric patients less than 6 years of age at two separate institutions by an individual from a different group on the same date of service, the individual from the referring institution should report their critical care services with the time-based critical care codes (99291, 99292) and the receiving institution should report the appropriate initial day of care code 99468, 99471, 99475 for the same date of service.

nicu transport supervision

does anyone know if a physician can charge admin/discharge with transport supervision? We have in our system that Transport Supervision codes 99466 and 99467 are $0 charges. Is this because it is not payable? Or Bundles with the admit/discharge codes? I know in 2013 that there are new codes that are seperately payable for transport supervision (99485, 99486). but was wondering if any of you have this issue and how you charge. thanks!

Peds CC Transport

If our "control" physician who is directing the transport services, can they bill the appropriate initial hospital code or ER code once the patient arrives to our facility?

It states on page 40 of the CPT code book, Do not report 99485,99486 with any other services reported by the control physician for the same period.

I am thinking that "the same period" is the transportation time. Not the same DOS the transport took place.

Let me know you're thoughts. Thx!