Wiki No Show for Nuc Med Studies

lcathey@smsc.org

Networker
Best answers
We have a question, is there any way to hold a patient financially responsible for the cost of the isotope if they no show for a study? They get a reminder call the day before. The dose is wasted if they do not show up and we eat the cost.
We see a heavy population of Medicare and Medicaid. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Are they already a patient and have an established relationship with you? If not, and they haven't signed any paperwork, there is nothing you can do.

If it's a Medicaid patient, you cannot charge them either.

What you CAN do, is require the patient to sign financial responsibility before the appointment is made. Whether you are successful on collecting on that, though, is another matter entirely.

Thank you Sharon! If they are currently a patient and they are Medicare, would the financial responsibility form be ok or would it need to be an ABN?

I would make a separate form just for this. An ABN is for a service the patient is receiving; this form would be for a service the patient is NOT receiving.

Be very specific, list a fee amount. Also make sure it says something like, "this fee is due and payable within 30 days BY THE PATIENT, if the patient does not arrive on time, does not follow the prep instructions, or causes any other situation to arise within the patient's control that would prevent the study from being performed."

If you require fasting and they eat breakfast, you can charge them.

If they show up 30 minutes late and you've moved on with your schedule and can't see them, you can charge them.

If they call and say, "well, I have to babysit my grandkids", you can charge them.

Are they already a patient and have an established relationship with you? If not, and they haven't signed any paperwork, there is nothing you can do.

If it's a Medicaid patient, you cannot charge them either.

What you CAN do, is require the patient to sign financial responsibility before the appointment is made. Whether you are successful on collecting on that, though, is another matter entirely.
Do you have a link where it says we cannot charge for NO SHOW's for a Medicaid patient? I am in California and all I can find is information on Mental Health Providers not able to charge a missed appointment fee. I need to give this information to my office manager and cannot find anything. Thank you for your help!