Wiki Non-Asterisk systemic diagnosis Denials

kle0204

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

I understand that in the CMS A52996 Routine Foot Care reference, the systemic ICDs with the asterisk (*) indicates that a managing provider and an approximate date last seen for the condition is required. I initially thought that the ones WITHOUT the asterisk, for example, I73.9 Peripheral vascular disease, unspecified, doesn't require those information; however, I'm starting to get denials and when my AR department called Novitas to get more information, they were told that a REFERRING provider is required, (it doesn't have to be a Managing provider), and that the Date last seen WAS NOT needed. My AR dept called again on a different day with the same denial and was told by a different person that the Referring provider is required AS WELL AS the Date Last Seen.

There are also encounters where the patient is a self referral, so there won't be a referring provider for me to add to the claim.

Can someone please advise me on how to proceed with these scenarios? I make sure to have a medical necessary ICD from Group 1 and a Q modifier on my RFC procedures. It's the referring provider vs managing provider vs date last seen that I'm unsure with. It seems like every time I think I got podiatry coding down, something else pops up and I feel like I'm back to square one, so I would really appreciate any help!

Thank you!

Novitas is a funny one...for RFC, they, like all the others want the primary treating provider and approximate date last seen for the diagnosis codes with the asterisk. However, they ALSO want a "referring provider" name entered on all of the claims with non-asterisked diagnosis codes as well (not the DLS). It is my understanding that this can be the name of the podiatrist if the patient is not being seen on a regular basis by a primary care doctor. Most have a doctor of record and that name would be the best one to use.