Wiki Non-closure of peritoneal dialysis catheter tract

debiwill

Contributor
Best answers
I am needing a CPT code for excision of a fistula tract. Additional information..the patient had a peritoneal dialysis catheter removed one week prior. There has been persistent draining from the fistula since removal of the catheter. Findings include a dermal fistula that extends into the belly of the left rectus muscle. Research has led me to CPT 13160, but I am not 100% this is the correct code. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Hi,
Without an operative report and using only the given information, I would recommend looking at codes 11043 and 11046, depending on the sq cm.
Range Specific Guideline
Wound debridements (11042-11047) are reported by depth of tissue that is removed and by surface area of the wound. These services may be reported for injuries, infections, wounds and chronic ulcers. When performing debridement of a single wound, report depth using the deepest level of tissue removed. In multiple wounds, sum the surface area of those wounds that are at the same depth, but do not combine sums from different depths. For example: When bone is debrided from a 4 sq cm heel ulcer and from a 10 sq cm ischial ulcer, report the work with a single code, 11044. When subcutaneous tissue is debrided from a 16 sq cm dehisced abdominal wound and a 10 sq cm thigh wound, report the work with 11042 for the first 20 sq cm and 11045 for the second 6 sq cm. If all four wounds were debrided on the same day, use modifier 59 with either 11042, or 11044 as appropriate.
Hopefully this helps,