Wiki Non-contributory: where is written authority?

Yarbs

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

We all don't like "Family history: non-contributory" and don't allow it - it's common knowledge. However, my facility would like to have the written back-up as to why this is not allowed.

I've looked through the various threads and written a few inquiries privately AND searched the Internet ... nada. A thought in the back of my head is that this was an OIG thing, but I can't find anything on that either.

Does anyone have an article they can provide me the citation with or a specific carrier's dictum on that? We have Palmetto in CA and I could write a letter and ask it for clarification, but that might take a little time. :)

Thanks much -
Carol

I went to a coding event last summer and there it was said that the term "non-contributory" may be acceptable for PFSH, but not for the ROS.

Unfortunately, right now I don't have anything in writing.

I am also in NHIC territory (MA) -

Erica - pls share what you find out, I'd be interested to see if they really do allow it and under which circumstances, considering that most other carriers don't.
Thanks a bunch!

For those in Highmark Medicare's jurisdiction, they have this topic addressed on their FAQ page at http://www.highmarkmedicareservices.com/faq/partb/pet/lpet-evaluation_management_services.html#19, question #24 which states, in part: "The use of the term "noncontributory" may be permissible documentation when referring to the remaining negative review of systems. The term "noncontributory" may also be appropriate documentation when referring to a patient's family history during an E/M visit, if the family history is not pertinent to the presenting problem." See the full text for the complete response.