Wiki non-selective debridement done by nursing staff

tmorehart

Networker
Best answers
Hi all, hoping someone can help me with this one. The nursing staff at the wound clinic that I work for is performing non-selective debridement with Debrisoft (small abrasive pad) and per their manager they can bill a debridement for this. I am struggling to come up with an appropriate CPT code to fit what they are doing. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thank you in advance,

Tracey

I looked at that code, but the description of the abrasion involves scraping the wound surface with a tongue blade or similar blunt instrument so I didn't feel that was fitting.

The tongue blade instrument is not part of the code description - I think you're maybe seeing that in the lay description? That is given as an example; it's not a requirement for the code. There are different techniques for non-selective debridement, it does not have to be with a particular instrument as long as the service meets the definition of non-selective debridement/removal of devitalized tissue.

Hi, along this same line, I have a provider who insists on billing 97602 to clean and bandage abrasions from falls, and the like; How can I convince this provider that this in inappropriate use of 97602? Thanks!