Wiki Non teaching physician hospital

Best answers
Dear Fellow Coding Professionals,

I have a client that is saying that resident and student notes can be used by the physician because they are not a teaching hospital. I could understand the resident, but to me the student note is a red flag. Has anyone else heard of this and do you know of supporting documentation
?

Thank you
Diana

Student services and documentation cannot be used and/or referred to by an Attending physician. Although an Attending my refer to a resident physician's note, it does have to meet certain criteria in order to be billable (or fall within standard exceptions). Either way, what you mention the client says is not founded.

More troubling, if it isn't a teaching hospital, what are residents and medical students doing providing services to patients?

I'm afraid your client is thoroughly confused or entirely uneducated on the teaching physician requirements.

Student services and documentation cannot be used and/or referred to by an Attending physician. Although an Attending my refer to a resident physician's note, it does have to meet certain criteria in order to be billable (or fall within standard exceptions). Either way, what you mention the client says is not founded.

More troubling, if it isn't a teaching hospital, what are residents and medical students doing providing services to patients?

I'm afraid your client is thoroughly confused or entirely uneducated on the teaching physician requirements.

Thank you for your response Kevin. LOL! I asked myself the same question about the residents and med students at a non-teaching hospital. I guess I assumed they found a loophole to not be a teaching hospital, but perhaps as a specialized hospital they have some limited residents and students come through.

Even so, an Attending provider who is acting in the capacity of teaching or supervising physician is subject to the teaching physician guidelines (at least for Medicare/Medicaid patients). I am not aware of any third party payer that grants exceptions. However, to be safe and thorough, I would reach out to private payers and seek written confirmation of their teaching physician documentation and supervision requirements. I find that most broadly follow Medicare.