Wiki NP/PA in hospital

pygreen

Expert
Best answers
What would be the best way to utilize a NP/PA in the hospital setting for a specialty such as Cardio, Neuro, GI etc? Billing Consults under their own number for Medicare / Billing Split/share hospital visits? I know there is no "Incident To" or "Split/SHare" on Consults in the hospital setting.

Do they also see office patients? or do they just do hospital? Thanks in advance for any replies.

I don't know if this is the best way or not but I can tell you how one of my surgical groups utilize their PAs.

The PA does the inpatient consults and they are billed under the PAs number. They also see follow-up visits in the office billed incident to under the doctor. Additionally they are used as assistant surgeons for procedures and billed under their own numbers with appropriate modifiers.

Oh, forgot to mention, this is in a cardiovascular practice.

Good luck,

Laura, CPC

NO one way

I agree that there's no one way to do this.

One surgical practice I know if uses the PAs for inpatient consults / H&Ps / minor surgical procedures (e.g. I&D abscess) / assist for major surgical procedures. But they don't go to clinic/office visits.

Another has the PAs/NPs run their own clinics and institute care (billing under their own name/number of course), but they NEVER assist at surgery.

A third has the PA see fracture follow-up and assist at surgery, and occasionally see new patients either on their own, or as triage (doctor is present in clinic and will step in if PA feels necessary).

A fourth has the PA doing all the new patients, all H&Ps, and some F/U care (suture removal - including when it requires anesthesia in the OR), with occasional assist at surgery.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC