Wiki NP washing collection

kewing

Networker
Best answers
I have a provider who would like to bill 94640 for the collection of NP washings for culture. I know that I can bill this for sputum induction, but have never had it come up for NP washings. The CDR does not mention NP washings. The provider says that she uses basically the same procedure as a neb treatment but with saline. Does anyone have any thoughts or references on this?

Thanks for your help.

Karen M Ewing, CPC (AAPC), MT (ASCP)

Are you referring to 30210 (Displacement therapy)? Does this sound like what the provider is doing?

The physician displaces mucopurulent secretions (pus and mucous) from sinuses by gravity replacement with a second liquid. This therapy is effective for the ethmoid and sphenoid sinuses. While lying supine, the patient's head is hyperextended. The nose is filled with isotonic saline solution. The physician closes one nostril and applies suction to the other nostril. The patient repeats vowels or words (phonates), elevating the soft palate and creating negative pressure. While the patient is phonating, the physician suctions the nostril. The saline solution enters the sinus, displacing the secretions of the sinuses. The secretions are suctioned from the nostril.