Wiki NP's seeing new patients

Jennifer17

Networker
Best answers
I need some advice. We have a physician who now has an NP. I understand all the incident-to guidelines for established patients. My question is, he wants the NP to see a new patient or new problem, and document, then give the history of the patient to the physician and then he will come up with the treatment plan and even do any procedure at that time if warranted, and for it to be billed under the physician. They both would be involved n the care of the patient, is there something that can be documented showing he and the NP came up the plan or something that allows him to bill under his name??? I am having a hard time finding information on this and how to bill under him but ethically and appropriately. Any suggestions????
Thanks in advance.

You should probably search under shared visits. There are regulations for shared visits and new patients cannot be shared encounters. Also for new problems in the office setting the provider must document that they examined the patient face to face and create this/her own note.

For office visits: If the NP sees a new patient it gets billed under the NP's NPI.