Wiki Nurse Practitioner Surgery Assist???

VanettaP

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

My practice is adding a NP. I need help with how to bill Surgery Assists. Can anyone offer any tips or advice. I am located in the state of Georgia.

I work for a practice in Wisconsin and we use nurse practitioners as surgical assistants. We add the AS modifier to the CPT for the nurse practitioners services performed. All of our payors allow us to use nurse practitioners as surgical assistants but you should check with the carriers in your state.

I work for a practice in Wisconsin and we use nurse practitioners as surgical assistants. We add the AS modifier to the CPT for the nurse practitioners services performed. All of our payors allow us to use nurse practitioners as surgical assistants but you should check with the carriers in your state.

Are your nurse practitioners credentialed with the commercial insurances? It is my understanding that my NP will not be credentialed individually. Would that play a part since I believe that she would need a signature from a provider. Could the provider that she is assisting sign off on her assist?

We bill for NP and PA as assistants with the AS modifier.
For those insurances that do not credential them individually, we bill under the physicians NPI.
Be advised that not all procedures allow for payment to assistant so you will need to check the policies of each insurance prior to billing.