Wiki Nursing Home patients

dswords

New
Best answers
A provider who admits patients into a skilled nursing facility from our local hospital also provides subsequent care for these patients while in the SNF. Often services are provided by responding to a fax request from the NH staff who have questions about how to handle various conditions of the patient. The physician responds to the faxes by visiting the SNF and instructing the staff on how to handle the situation (ex "meds dont seem to be working do you suggest something else for the pain?"). Can this be billed as a subsequent NH visit?

The only thing I know is that DR MUST see the patient face to face to bill the nursing home visits. 99307-99310. The dr doesn't do anything for just filling out the forms or papers for the nursing home.

Thanks for the response. Can you point me in the direction of any guidelines that state this so I can have them for my records? In my AAPC code book the definition states Physicians typically spend XX minutes with the patient and/or family or caregiver which could be interpreted that the doc does not necessarily have to be at the bedside to bill. I hate it when these things are not clear...