Wiki Nutritional Therapy for Medicare Patients

lisner1204

Networker
Best answers
I would like to have your interpretation on the ADA guidelines for Medicare patients.

Under their 2003 article for Medicare Part B it states:
1) Must bill Medicare Part B with thier own PIN
2) Medicare should only be billed for Medical Nutritional Therapy that is appropirately provided to beneficiaries with diabetes or renal disease because no other beneficiaries are eligivle for the benefit.
3) Medical Nutritional Therapy should not be billed for as an "incident to" service and registered dietiticans and nutrition professionals are not permitted to bill for any other services as "incident to" Medical Nutrition Therapy services.

We are a gastroenterolgy group that uses our PA who is also a dietician to see patients for nutritional counseling. Is the second requirement interpreted as such: If they have diabetes or renal disease, we can bill the nutritional counseling even if we disuss a diet for Crohn's disease or Celiac disease.

Thank you.
Lori Isner

As a neophyte Medicare biller, your #2 perfectly explains why I am getting paid for some of my G0270's and not paid for others. I would really appreciate a link (from anyone) to some source documents about Medicare nutrition billing