Wiki OB admit without delivery query

debellis59

Networker
Best answers
Hi. My OB doc admitted a patient in active labor to the hospital. She was seen only the one time. Her regular provider did come in and do the delivery. The only things going on with this patient is that she was in active labor, first pregnancy, 38 weeks. There are no active labor codes, and this isn't like we were seeing this patient for antepartum care, so I'm uncertain how to code the diagnostic portion of this. Do I actually use the supervision of pregnancy diagnosis code? I don't want to mess up the primary provider's global. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi. My OB doc admitted a patient in active labor to the hospital. She was seen only the one time. Her regular provider did come in and do the delivery. The only things going on with this patient is that she was in active labor, first pregnancy, 38 weeks. There are no active labor codes, and this isn't like we were seeing this patient for antepartum care, so I'm uncertain how to code the diagnostic portion of this. Do I actually use the supervision of pregnancy diagnosis code? I don't want to mess up the primary provider's global. Any help would be appreciated.
So is your OB a member of the practice of the MD who delivered her? Or was this a covering situation? If covering, you bill nothing since the admission is included in the global service. If they are in the same practice, you also bill nothing. If there is absolutely no affiliation between the two, you can bill the admission portion and I would simply indicate the Dx Z34.03 as he was supervising her normal pregnancy before birth.

So is your OB a member of the practice of the MD who delivered her? Or was this a covering situation? If covering, you bill nothing since the admission is included in the global service. If they are in the same practice, you also bill nothing. If there is absolutely no affiliation between the two, you can bill the admission portion and I would simply indicate the Dx Z34.03 as he was supervising her normal pregnancy before birth.
Thank you for your response. Our OB doc is not a member of the practice that delivered her. There is no affiliation between us except that we use the same hospital. I will get this submitted and I do appreciate your help. I was leaning this way, but it's been years since I've done OBGYN ... definitely need a refresher!