Wiki Observation Charging in Family Practice?

mamador2

Best answers
Okay, I've included the progress notes for this, just to make sure there's clarification, I just need to know if I really can charge for post-epidural (using 62282) observation for one hour? this is a family practice and the only code for it is a hospital code (we use 99218). This leads me to believe it is included in 62282, and I can find no evidence otherwise...please advise :)

Procedures:
Injections:
Indication(s) lumbar disc syndrome. Informed Consent Treatment options reviewed. Procedure description reviewed. Potential side effects including poor efficacy, infection, and bleeding were reviewed.. Procedure Intralaminar epidural performed by Doctor. Betadine was used for sterile field and sterile procedure was followed. Patient placed in the lateral position and the L4-5 disc space was palpated and then anesthetized with lidocaine 1%. Following this 22-gauge Touhy epidural needle was advanced to the epidural space using loss of resistance and contrast with C-arm for needle placement. Following this the epidural space was injected with 10 cc of normal saline, 10 cc of Marcaine 0.25%, and 2 cc of Kenalog.. Site epidural space. Lot # Kenalog 4C88351Marcaine .25% 34330DDLidocaine 2%6004266Omnipaque 12639858. Expiration Kenalog MAR 2016Marcaine 1OCT2015Lidocaine 207/15Omnipaque 26 NOV 2017. Injected Kenalog 2CC Marcaine .25% 10CC Lidocaine 2% 3CCOmnipaque 2CC. Post-injection Patient tolerated the procedure well. He was monitored for an hour post epidural had no problems vitals stayed normal and no limb weakness., patient was sent home to use ice and rest for the remainder of the day, return to normal activity tomorrow

99218 is not a code for observation after a med administration. It is a code for your provider to use for admitting the patient to the outpatient observation unit. The post administration observation is not chargeable whether in office or in the facility

Last edited: