• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Observation codes

Beany011178

Networker
Best answers
Can someone explain to me the 8 hour rule for Observation status? I have a pt that was in the hospital for observation status on one day and then went home the next day. She was there for more than 8 hours so that rules out 99218-99220 and she was admitted and discharged on different dates so that rules out 99234-99236.

Please help me!!!!!

Herbie Lorona

Expert
Best answers
I have never heard of the 8 hour rule for observation status. If the patient was observation one day and discharged the next i would use 99218-99220 for the first day and 99217 for the discharge. Where did you get this 8 hour rule from?

valariej

Networker
Best answers
CMS rule states:

Pt must be in OBSV for a minimum of 8 hours on the same calendar date to bill for 99234-99236. If the pt is admitted for less than 9 hours use the 99218-99220 codes. NO discharge is billed in this case.

Herbie Lorona

Expert
Best answers
Ok that makes sense. I wasn't thinking about on the same calendar date because the question was about 2 different days. So either way in this case you would bill 99218-99220 for the first day and 99217 for the second day.