Wiki Observation POS

I have a patient that was in observation we were not the admitting physician, we consulted. I billed POS 22 & 99254 to BCBSTX they denied. Did I bill this correctly per the new E&M 2023 guidelines ?

I have a patient that was in observation we were not the admitting physician, we consulted. I billed POS 22 & 99254 to BCBSTX they denied. Did I bill this correctly per the new E&M 2023 guidelines ?
we are billing a 99244/99245 for observation consultations for blue cross. They do not want the 99254 even though it is for both in and out patient. We spoke with a representative to confirm this.

If Observation and not admitting, you would bill POS 22 and the appropriate outpatient code. 99213, 99214, 99215. The practitioner ordering the observation care for the patient is the one who bills for the initial service. Any practitioner interacting with the patient while they are under observation is going to bill the office and other outpatient services E/M, not the subsequent hospital care codes. Hope that helps! :)

we are billing a 99244/99245 for observation consultations for blue cross. They do not want the 99254 even though it is for both in and out patient. We spoke with a representative to confirm this.
Did you find/get anything in writing from them on this? We are struggling with the same issue but were hoping for something in writing.