Wiki Observation question

TWILL11

Networker
Best answers
Pt was seen today (office visit for chest pain). After being seen by the provider, it was decided that the pt should be sent to the hospital for observation (same day as the office visit). The provider created the office visit document and created an H&P for the observation placement. Can we charge for the Obs admission if we ONLY saw the pt that day in the office and not in the hospital? (I know we would not charge for both if they were on the same date) The next day, our attending provider saw the pt and discharged them from obs so we would charge 99217 (observation care discharge). Is this correct?

Pt was seen today (office visit for chest pain). After being seen by the provider, it was decided that the pt should be sent to the hospital for observation (same day as the office visit). The provider created the office visit document and created an H&P for the observation placement. Can we charge for the Obs admission if we ONLY saw the pt that day in the office and not in the hospital? (I know we would not charge for both if they were on the same date) The next day, our attending provider saw the pt and discharged them from obs so we would charge 99217 (observation care discharge). Is this correct?

I do believe that code is to be use by the admitting/supervising physician in the hospital.

Observation Question

So would we charge for the est pt ov for the date the pt was seen in the office and we placed the pt in obs and not charge for the initial obs care? And the 2nd day we would charge for the obs discharge care?

In your statement there are three instances

1 Patient visited the office for chest pain

2 Physician decided that the pt should be sent to the hospital for observation (same day as the office visit).

3 The next day, our attending provider saw the pt and discharged them from obs

Your third statement is not clear

Is your clinic is associated to the admitting hospital ?

as per my understanding since the admission to the OBS and discharge are on different dates there will be two codes from 99218 - 99220 and the 99217.

And the physician will bill the office visit code for his evaluation if he not associated to the hospital.

Further discussion is appriciated on this forum.

Last edited:
In your statement there are three instances

1 Patient visited the office for chest pain

2 Physician decided that the pt should be sent to the hospital for observation (same day as the office visit).

3 The next day, our attending provider saw the pt and discharged them from obs

Your third statement is not clear

Is your clinic is associated to the admitting hospital ?

as per my understanding since the admission to the OBS and discharge are on different dates there will be two codes from 99218 - 99220 and the 99217.

And the physician will bill the office visit code for his evaluation if he not associated to the hospital.

Further discussion is appriciated on this forum.

If my mind is right (it is almost Friday tho LOL) if the Doctor is the admitting physician into Observation status then he can NOT code for the office visit, It will all be included into the observation code...and yes agree on the discharge codes.

Lynda

If I understand your post correctly the doctor saw the patient in the office, determined he should go to the hospital and be placed in observation but the doctor did not go to the hospital to see the patient. If this is correct you cannot bill for the observation, you would have to bill the office visit. You bill for the place where the services were actually rendered.