Wiki Observation Status-Orthopedic surgeon

lmsnyfla

Contributor
Best answers
Orthopedic surgeon is asked to see a patient who is in the hospital under "observation" status. The patient is there for 3 days. Doctor sees the patient each day. What code series should be billed for day 1.... what code series for each additional day ? Also for claim submission would the Place of Service be "outpatient" or "inpatient" ?
Lots of different opinions on this scenario going on here regarding correct way to bill.
Thanks for any feedback !

Who is your carrier? Was it a consult or transfer of care?

For Medicare, I just sat thru a webinar from Highmark Medicare, stating that in obs you only use the outpatient E/Ms unless you are the provider that put them in obs (99201-99215). I am going to research this for other carriers though since this is the first I had heard of it.

For commercials, if you have a consult you would use the outpatient consult (99241-99245) for day 1 then established outpatient 99212-99215 for days 2 and 3. If it was a transfer of care you would use the correct outpatient E/M (99201-99215) for day 1 then the established outpatients for days 2 and 3.

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC