Wiki Obstetric codding in icd 10

MAYER14

Best answers
I wonder what your opinion is when coding complications during pregnancy. For example 1 of three fetuses are affected, when codeing O35.7XX Maternal care for (suspected) damage to fetus by other medical procedures would you use 1 for the last digit (fetus 1) or would you use a 3 (fetus 3)? Part of me says since only 1 fetus is affected I should use 1 or does the last digit stand for how many fetuses there are in the pregnancy.

Thank you for your input!

The guideline is as follows

One of the following 7th characters is to be assigned to each code under category O35. 7th character 0 is for single gestations and multiple gestations where the fetus is unspecified. 7th characters 1 through 9 are for cases of multiple gestations to identify the fetus for which the code applies. The appropriate code from category O30, Multiple gestation, must also be assigned when assigning a code from category O35 that has a 7th character of 1 through 9.

I'm interpreting that as if multiple gestation you use the number to specify the fetus with the issue. If single gestation and one has the problem 7th digit is a 0. If multiple and fetus 2 has the issue the 7th digit is a 2. I'm not familiar with OB so I have no idea how you keep track of which fetus is which. Ie is it Fetus 1 2 or 3 is the one with the issue and how you keep track throughout the pregnancy of who is who.