Wiki Obtaining Experience with IVR Coding

AB87

Guru
Best answers
I would love Feed back from people that are doing IVR Coding. My question is did you gain experience and become a good Interventional Radiology coder by practicing and having someone show you the ropes (train you)? Also Did you have to use Code Sheets until you got familiar with the codes?(And obviously code from the report)

I've been coding IR for almost 15 years. To start out I received training from someone in our company that was already doing it. Back then IR was not as extensive as it is these days. I started out with easier things like biopsies, picc/mediport placements and basic vascular procedures. Over the years, I have been fortunate enough that my company has provided offsite and online training. Even though I'm quite experienced, I still use some code sheets and many resources when I code the more complex cases. I also use vascular diagrams labeled with cpt codes for level of selectivity (ex, 36245, 36246).

The best resources I use are from the Society of Interventional Radiology (www.sirweb.org) and Coding Strategies Inc (www.codingstrategies.com). You can also find information on www.acr.org and www.rbma.org.

Good luck!

Shena

ZHealth publishing is great. Dr.Z makes it all much easier to understand. I've also used MedLearn and others but feel Dr. Z explains it best :)