Wiki Occupation and Speech Therapy billing for family meetings

n.bakes

New
Best answers
Hello,
We have a small practice of Speech and Occupational Therapists. Our therapists seem many children and at times it is important to meet with the parents to discuss the patient's care, barriers, goals, observations etc. These meetings can take 30 minutes to an hour. Sometimes with the patient sometimes without. I'm not sure how to bill this correctly. Has anyone else had this issue? It is usually just one therapist with the parents so I can't use the medical conference team codes usually. When the patient isn't present I can add the Z71.0 and the additional pertinent diagnoses but am having a hard time finding a correct and hopefully reimbursable CPT code.
Any thoughts or advice or experiences would be appreciated! We are located in MN if that matters.
Thank you so much!

Hello,
We have a small practice of Speech and Occupational Therapists. Our therapists seem many children and at times it is important to meet with the parents to discuss the patient's care, barriers, goals, observations etc. These meetings can take 30 minutes to an hour. Sometimes with the patient sometimes without. I'm not sure how to bill this correctly. Has anyone else had this issue? It is usually just one therapist with the parents so I can't use the medical conference team codes usually. When the patient isn't present I can add the Z71.0 and the additional pertinent diagnoses but am having a hard time finding a correct and hopefully reimbursable CPT code.
Any thoughts or advice or experiences would be appreciated! We are located in MN if that matters.
Thank you so much!
Have you found any answers about this. I am interested as well if there is a reimbursable CPT code.

It seems like 97168 would be appropriate for the OT, if they are indeed performing a re-evaluation, which includes assessment of changes..., update to reflect changes..., revised plan of care. Typically, 30 minutes are spent face-to-face with the patient and/or family.