• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

OCE requiring mod 25

Jacoder

Best answers
I am having issues with a certain denail code I've been recieving from at least 2 insurances. The reject reason says, "This claim contains a significant procedure and an E/M procedure with the same date of service. Unless a modifier 25 is used with the E/M CPT code to indicate that the E/M procedure was a significant, separely identifiable E/M service by the same MD on the same day as a procedure the payment for the service is included inthe payment for the significant procedure."

This is what we billed:

99284 - ER level 4
70450 - CT Head
72125 - CT Cervical Spine

I don't agree with adding the modifier 25. I see an E/M procedure as meaning a doctor evaluated a patient and documented what he evaluated and found, ect. I don't think that x-ray CPT's should count as an E/M service. And I can't say that they are separately identifiable, because the ER assessment and the x-rays were all related. Can someone please explain this to me? Thank you!

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
In the facility you have to add a 25 modifier to the E&M when a significant procedure is also billed, a significant procedure is any status S or status T procedure, CT scans are a Status T therefor they are significant necessitating a 25 modifier on the E&M or it will be denied.