Wiki Office Based Procedure Billing

CarlyMae

Best answers
I work with a surgeon who has started doing minor surgical procedures in his office, some of which require an anesthesiologist. I am trying to verify if the anesthesiologist can bill insurance separately for these, or if the fee that the surgeon receives is all inclusive, in which case he would need to work out payment with the anesthesiologist. To me it would make sense that the anesthesiologists can bill insurance separately, but I’ve been unable to find anything that states how anesthesia for office based procedures is reimbursed! Is anyone familiar with this? Any resources you could direct me to would be useful!

I am not an anesthesia biller and know little about it - I work primarily with physicians and ASCs!

Anesthesia services provided by an anesthesiologist and/or CRNA are generally billed separately by the anesthesiology practice, as anesthesia billing is quite different than surgical billing. The setting where anesthesia services are provided is not a factor, which is why your hunt for information wasn't successful.

Many of the anesthesiologists I've worked with provided services for in-office procedures. We just billed their claims out with a different location code.

Last edited: