Wiki office question

SSweetland

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I would like some feedback on coders in an office setting. Does your office use the front staff to enter the codes from the charge sheets after the physician fills it out or do you have a coder enter charges? Some of our offices hire office assistants and teach coding but as a certified coder and manager I am changing to have coders in offices work with the physician and front staff do the information on the front end and collect the copays. I would like to hear how other offices are using there staff. thanks in advance.
Sheila Sweetland,CPC

In our office, we employ someone who's job is "data entry." After we have coded the charge tickets, we then give them to data entry, they handle getting these posted to the patients account. We elected not to have our front office staff perform this task, as they are busy enough with registering patients and making appointments. Also, we are located in a separate office, and it is nice to have someone right there so when they have questions about how input something, we are right there to answer.