• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Office Visit & Cerumen Removal with Modifiers... HELP

Best answers
:mad::confused:Ok, so Blue Cross is giving me a headache... I keep getting different answers from people over there, and it's driving me bonkers.

I have been told by insurance that when I'm billing: 382.00 with 99213 that its needs Mod 25, and line #2, 382.00 with 69210 needs Mod 50 since it's BOTH ears, and bilaterel.

So I go and do this, now it's getting rejected. So then I try just Mod 25 aginst the office visit, and then insurance only pays 1/2 of code 69210 saying it's bilateral and needs Mod 50.

Someone PLEASE tell me how I can bill this to get it paid.

The Claims rep, told me that he knows nothing about how a claim is supposed to be set up, that he only knows that he's supposed to re-read what the notes are to me and can provide no further assistance... grrrrr

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
69210 definitly does not get a 50 modifier as the descriptor state one or both ears. BCBS has a nasy habit of trying to discount a procedure when billed with an OV however they are not suppose to do this. Some BC payers have you use the 25 on the OV and a 59 on the procedure to keep it from discounting.