• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

office visit then admit

renifejn

Guru
Best answers
i know this has been asked many times, but i've been asked by a co-worker and want to make sure we're getting it right here..

pt seen in the office, provider decides to admit. when coder asked the doc about a missing admit note in the hospital he stated that he saw that patient in the clinic so that was the admit note. because this is just a clinic note (with the decision to admit) with no hospital admit note do we only bill the office visit? does he need to write an h&p (we can then combine with the OV) to bill the 99221-99223?

thanks so much

Jaibesoinde3

Best answers
if the pt was seen @ the office and than admitted to the hospital, the office visit is considered bundled into the initial hospital care service. All services given @ the office may be taken into account when the appropriate level of hospital admission is chosen. yes! You do need the H&P form for that. I hope that I was able to help