Wiki Office Visits prior to Screening Colon

rcclary

Networker
Best answers
I know you cannot charge for an E/M visit for a screening colonoscopy with Medicare but what about other carriers. I am wanting to see what other offices are doing in this instance. I know some carriers will deny the claim for inconsistent coding. You cannot put a V code with an problematic E/M visit (e.g. V76.51 w/ 99203). BCBS will deny the claim but to the patient's responsibility stating preventative office visits are not covered. I would like to hear how other offices are handling the office visits prior to screening colonoscopies. Do you charge for them? Thanks for your help.

Clarification

Is this the visit for the procedure itself or is this for a visit on a day prior to the visit? If the latter, what about a pre-op clearance or maybe addressing a S/S that while itself not the reason for a colonoscopy, the procedure is desired because of the S/S and other factors, such as age or family history? Just trying to get some clarification on what you are asking.

I know you cannot charge for an E/M visit for a screening colonoscopy with Medicare but what about other carriers. I am wanting to see what other offices are doing in this instance. I know some carriers will deny the claim for inconsistent coding. You cannot put a V code with an problematic E/M visit (e.g. V76.51 w/ 99203). BCBS will deny the claim but to the patient's responsibility stating preventative office visits are not covered. I would like to hear how other offices are handling the office visits prior to screening colonoscopies. Do you charge for them? Thanks for your help.

For non-Medicare patients you can see the patient prior to a colonoscopy in the office and charge for an E/M service. If the patient is sent to your doctor in consult you use a consult code and the appropriate ICD-9 code.