Wiki Old C-Section wound reopened

ELBrock

Networker
Best answers
Hello! If a patient is 2-years post Cesarean Delivery, and is presenting with a small opening on the corner of her C-section scar (no signs of infection)...Would it be appropriate to code O90.0 - disruption of cesarean delivery wound?

Thank you!

Unfortunately I cant help you with a code right now as i dont have my books with me, but I can tell you that O90.0 will not be appriopriate unless patient is pregnant.

You will be looking maybe at a code from Chapter 19.

When looking at O90.0, it is listed under the Complications of the Puerperium, Not elsewhere classified Heading. According to ICD-10 guidelines, the "Chapter 15 codes may also be used to describe pregnancy-related complications after the peripartum or postpartum period if the provider documents that a condition is pregnancy related."
I was just thinking that since the provider documented that the wound is an old C-section scar that reopened, it would be counted as pregnancy related?
Thanks you!

I would agree with the above comment, however the puerperium period is only six weeks following childbirth. That said, go with a Chapter 19 code.

Thank you both for your help! I guess I'm still confused why O90.0 wouldn't be appropriate, even if it is after the puerperium period? The guidelines make it seem like it is okay to code Chapter 15 codes after the puerperium period, as long as the condition is related to the pregnancy. The guidelines state the "Postpartum period begins immediately after delivery and continues for six weeks following delivery." It also states the "Peripartum period is defined as the last month of pregnancy to five months postpartum." As I stated before, it does state it is okay to code Chapter 15 codes after both these timeframes, as long as the provider documentation correlates the complication to the pregnancy.
I just feel that O90.0 best describes the condition.
If I did go with a chapter 19 (Injury, Poisoning, and Certain Other Consequences of External Causes) code, do you think S31.105A (Unspecified open wound of abdominal wall, periumbilic region without penetration into peritoneal cavity) or some other option?
Thanks again!